Read my Reflections Please!

I just finished reading a post by Miguel Guhlin entitled, “Fervent Prayer – Read Me Please“. I can definitely relate as I work hard to start and promote this blog although Miguel has blogged for years. For a short while I worked in his department in his school district and I have great respect for him as my mentor but his superb writings. Shortly before reading Miguel’s post, I was reading a post from Wes Fryer’s blog, he mentioned a post from Jon Becker’s new blog about a similar notion.

Wes Fryer’s post:

“I hear you Jon. It can be lonely to write when no one is listening or seeming to pay attention. (I flashback to April 2001 again.) Our opportunity to have conversations which both change our practice and potentially change the thinking and practices of others, however, is unprecedented TODAY in human history. I am both humbled and electrified by that reality. Yes, I blog for many intrinsic reasons. Blogging helps me process and document my own learning journey, and I frequently benefit from this virtual bread crumb path as I refer back to old posts as well as social bookmarks in tags I’ve used.”

Jon Becker’s post:

“This blog is ONLY just over 3.5 months, but I find myself obsessed with figuring out if I am contributing to any networked learning. Scott McLeod has written about “measuring” the impact of a blog and I commented that I’d like to consider some combination of comments/post/reader and number of pingbacks. In other words, I will feel like my blog is useful/valuable if it is generating discussion. People may come and learn by simply observing, but I don’t feel like that’s enough.”

This appears to be a common notion at present time and I am heartened that I am experiencing similar feelings from the ‘heavy hitters’ in educational blogging. Just as in start up venture, whether it be writing or a new business, an investment of time and reflection is necessary. The creative process can be daunting and taxing and I felt comforted that even the ‘superbloggers’ feel a twinge of uncertainty at times.

Mentioned in these bloggers’ posts throughout their respective blogs was the importance of the reflection process for growth. While the topics of the posts in the superbloggers of ed tech’s blogs seem to come and flow naturally, I struggle with what to write and will anyone care what I have to say or read what I have shared. It is difficult being vulnerable, yet striving to be a prolific writer at the same time, in my humble opinion. But the mention in Miguel’s post about the importance of the reflection process is to affect change and growth struck a chord with me.

When I was working to achieve national board certification, critical questions requiring reflection on the learning process were asked throughout the entries I had to submit. Although I had already taught for 15 years or so, initially I didn’t see how important the reflection process was or how valuable and significant to professional growth that the reflection process played. After achieving national board certification, it has become ingrained that a reflection upon the lesson I just delivered to ensuring success for my students – whether they be K – 12 students or adult students. So I thank Jon Becker, Wes Fryer, and Miguel Guhlin and all of the other ed tech bloggers for making themselves vulnerable, taking a risk and sharing their own personal reflections with the rest of the world.

3 thoughts on “Read my Reflections Please!

1. Great post! A reminder that we all need to remember to be reflective ’cause the best educators are. Always.

2. Thank YOU for sharing your thinking out loud and being vulnerable as well, Kim. When I joined the staff at the College of Education at Texas Tech in 2001, I learned the motto of the previous dean had focused on cultivating “reflective practitioners.” I agree that is a major purpose of our sharing as educators in the blogosphere. Keep on sharing! The rewards are many, and extend most significantly far beyond readership statistics. Personal growth is challenging to measure, but a documented record of thinking like a blog provides is the best way I’ve seen yet to have a tangible yardstick for our personal learning journeys.

3. Thank you Scott and Wes for leaving me a comment on my blog. I can’t decide if I want an edublog or wordpres.com blog so I am flipping back and forth. I find I like things of both and trying to get into my blog groove to work out the kinks and stop wandering around if the blogosphere lost and frustrated. I think long and hard about what to post and wonder will people be interested, want to read what I write, and worry. It wasn’t until I started reading and commenting and learning and sharing with others that my blog began to grow as well my blogging knowledge and skills. Thank you for both for encouraging a newbie and providing a forum for us to learn and grow while reading both of your blogs! Know that I appreciate your comments!

Kim